Saturday, July 16, 2011

The quest for another piece of paper

now brings me to Australia. A land I consciously avoided when deciding where to do my bachelors degree.

Why did I not consider Australia then?
a) poisonous snakes (the most poisonous snake in the world, the Australian Inland Taipan, has apparently not killed anyone, but this is one "first" I don't really want to test ahaha)
b) poisonous spiders
c) crocodiles
d) baby-stealing dingos
e) the huge ass hole in the ozone layer etc.

Why am I doing my Masters here now:
a) ANU is a good university, it's close-ish to home, the 2 hour time difference won't be as killer as the US 12+/- hours would be on a long distance relationship. Finding out that it's the only Australian U with a ranking better than NUS, shallowly enough helped in the decision making process
b) I will prolly be stuck indoors most of the time and it's unlikely to find a kidnapping dingo/a crocodile/ u.v. rays in the lecture halls and labs.
c) my paranoia has worn off a little and I know many friends who have moved to Australia without encountering any of the above who are happier than the people I know in Singapore

Having discussed my previous qualms with some of the Toadies (the residents of our hall are unforch called that, since we live in Toad Hall. We're a post-grad/ mature age residence but prolly have the least dignified name. That said, we do have the best view; it was named Toad because the surrounding area looks like the scenery in the Wind in the Willow; digression complete!) they added new things to my list of heebee jeebee inducing thingums:
- Australian rips, sharks, jellyfish, wombats, kangaroos, possums Raaaaaaaaaaaaaawr!

Anyways, I am now further south of the equator, freezing my non-existent balls off, studying the brain, neural systems and genetics, learning to live in a new place again while attempting to coax and reconfigure my cerebral cortex into entering study/ note-taking/ assignment-doing mode and juggling a LDR with an over-worked -still slightly miffed (at my sudden decision to leave)- houseman some 6820 odd kilometres away.

No comments:

Post a Comment