Monday, March 25, 2013

Unrooted.

My parents often complain that I lack a sense of "rootedness" or being stable. It's not so much that I'm not yet financially independent but more that there is little anchoring to me any one place. I thought a person could do that, maybe it could still happen, who knows? In any case, the crossroad is looming and many decisions remain unmade. What to do next is sort of figured out but where, not so much. It's amazing but confusing when the world is open to you. Then the practicalities sink in, what does one do for funding? It is so much tougher for international students everywhere, unless your country funds you. I laugh at that notion, mine never has and never would. Such a disadvantage, why would I subject my progeny to that?! That rant is overdone but it's difficult to shake off close to a decade of disappointment and annoyance at the injustice of it all.


Today however, I viewed the crossroad positively for the first time. Laremy posted an article on how most lives are lived by default (http://www.raptitude.com/2012/07/most-lives-are-lived-by-default/). While I may lack anchoring, default has almost never been the option taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment