Saturday, April 04, 2009

Better bet when it feels like a better betting day.

Today felt like a good day to buy lottery. So I did. It was pretty impulsive, but a very me thing to do. Walked over to West Coast Plaza, got a bubble tea (my 4th one in as many days) and bought 2 4D numbers and a ticket for the Singapore Sweeps.

T'was quite an experience since it was the first time I was trying it out. Noting my clueless face, the aunty at the counter helpfully gave me a couple of pamphlets with instructions. I decided to buy multiple permutations of my numbers *crosses fingers*
The Singapore Sweeps ticket was unintentional. At the counter, as I was paying for my 4D slip, I saw three red tickets. The aunty motioned to the Singapore Sweeps poster and told me each ticket was only 3 dollars. Heck it! Bought one randomly.

It was quite funny... the other people there were South Asian foreign workers, old chinese ah peks and tai-tai like aunties. There were also a group of little old ladies in beflowered cotton shirts who were loudly betting on horse racing. Guess that not too many uni students around the Clementi area buy TOTO/ 4D... Alex, why aren't you living here?! Then I would have a teman beli lottery.

Hmmm... can't wait for the results. My luck may be a little botched though. I stepped on a cat's paw when getting to the shop... I didn't see her, she was walking near me and was the same colour as the floor. Felt really nasty after that. Tried apologizing -to the cat, who couldn't understand english-, even the aunty who tsked in annoyance at my clumsiness smiled kindly and said, "aiyo, dia punya salah loh, dia blakang you mah." Ah well... still felt like an evil cat-paw-trodder.

Even if I don't get anything, at least I learnt how to buy a ticket and I love that the impulse was satisfied...so much for rationality (:

1 comment:

  1. Nerd comment: even if statistics discourage to buy those tickets, well, stats don't take into consideration the fun.

    Oh... and maybe game theory disegree with statistics :)

    ReplyDelete